About Our Job
This is professional level work supporting, coordinating or leading Youth Services programs/projects, teaching and coaching of staff and citizens, providing customer service, conducting research, performing analytical type work and coordinating collections. While the primary focus will be leadership in Youth Services, the librarian will also work with youth and adults in intergenerational programming. In the team environment employees will participate in setting unit, library, and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress.
- Develops and implements standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Provides informational services for the community.
- Presents individual and group training programs for public and staff in the use of the library, its technology and equipment, and its resources.
- General reference service in assisting customers by locating answers to questions, including Interlibrary Loan services and referral to agencies outside the library.
- Provides general service assistance including the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Provides assistance at service desks and to other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Assists with collection development by recommending materials.
- Participates in collection maintenance, including, shelving, shifting, and weeding.
- May perform item coordinator duties.
- Promotes the understanding and use of the library and its resources.
- Prepares reviews, press releases, bibliographies and other promotional displays.
- Creates displays and offers outreach services, coordinates outreach services in the community with library and system staff.
- Plans and directs library programming for adults, young adults, and children, in coordination with other library professionals throughout the library system.
- Analyzes and identifies service population needs and develops plans to meet those needs.
- Networks with other agencies to provide and obtain materials and services.
- Represents the library and library interests within the community.
- Participates in presentation and development of technology training and information literacy programs for staff and patrons.
- Participates in ad-hoc/one-on-one training of customers in use of library technology.
- May coordinate library volunteer activities.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of library makerspace technology at the Selby Library; assist in the creation, organization, and maintenance of Selby Library’s makerspace; and provide makerspace programming and instruction.
- Compile, report, and interpret statistics.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of system-wide reference services and programs.
- Identify and develop plans to meet agency staffing, equipment, and resource needs.
- Perform routine equipment cleaning/maintenance.
- May order supplies, prepare work schedules, receive and check-in periodicals and newspapers.
- May perform some cash management functions.
- Attends cash management training and participates in all aspects of the libraries cash management procedures.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Participates in assigned Emergency/Hurricane/COOP role as required by Sarasota County.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Participates in training and supervision of new staff and volunteers. Encourages staff and volunteers to use their individual talents creatively to address tasks.
- Attends agency, system-wide, local, regional, state, and national meetings and workshops to enhance professional skills.
- Participates in the development of goals, objectives, for agency plan and performance evaluations.
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. varied during the week. Work schedules may vary due to split shifts, rotations, on-call, emergencies, etc.: Employee may be re-assigned to a different work location (other than original assignment) within the library system to meet changing service needs. Expected to participate in all hours of operation including daytime, evening, and weekend hours, as well as hours at other locations.
- A Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS) from a college/university accredited by the American Library Association with experience in a public library including library supervisory experience preferred
- A Bachelor’s Degree and enrolled in an MLS/MLIS program with the ability to obtain an MLS/MLIS within six (6) months from date of hire.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening.