Click Apply to attach your resume. If you do not have a resume to attach, you may download the Employee Career Application (complete and attach as resume).
About Our Job
This position provides public information and reference services in the Information Central department, a centralized system-wide telephone and electronic reference service. In the team environment employees will participate in setting unit, library, and system goals, contribute to decision making and evaluation of progress. Employees will collaborate with co-workers to support team process.
- Ensures the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry from internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost courtesy and respect.
- Provides prompt, courteous customer service to patrons when answering reference, directional, and/or reader’s advisory questions.
- Determines and implements research strategies and utilizes print and electronic resources to answer patron reference questions.
- Responds to patron requests for library circulation transactions, including hold, renewals, etc.
- Explains and interprets library policies and procedures.
- Provides instruction and assistance in the use of library technology resources.
- Transfers calls to appropriate library service desks, other County agencies, etc.
- Provides information and referral to appropriate sources as applicable.
- Troubleshoots computer connection problems at a primary level.
- Provides assistance at service desks and other sections as needed.
- Represents Sarasota County to users.
- Provides assistance for Interlibrary Loan and Books by Mail.
- Develops and maintains a knowledge base of frequently asked questions.
- Gathers usage statistics as required.
- Assists with ILS database maintenance as requested.
- Participates in developing and implementing Info Central policies and procedures.
- Provides recommendations to assist in improving operational efficiency.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovation in libraries.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Participates in cross training to work in other sections and aids in cross training staff in his/her section.
Work Hours: Part Time/20 Hours/Week – No medical and/or dental benefits offered for this part-time position.
Monday - Thursday 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Minimum Qualifications: A High School Diploma or equivalent and one-year experience in administrative or public contact work and working knowledge of computer and hardware systems dealing with public response.
Preferred Qualifications: Major coursework in library science, English, communications or related field preferred.
Job Competencies: A clear, distinct speaking voice is required, along with knowledge of Windows, word processing, spreadsheets, and Internet searching. Creative problem-solving skills, intellectual curiosity, broad general knowledge and a strong customer service background are highly desirable. Accuracy, flexibility, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a fast paced, pressured environment, also strongly preferred. Must be able to work as part of a team. Ability to adapt to various and changing duties as required.
Physical Demands: Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.