Click Apply to attach your resume. If you do not have a resume to attach, you may download the Employee Career Application (complete and attach as resume).
About Our Job
This is a professional managerial position responsible for establishing, maintaining and expanding system-wide outreach services, including traditional services for adults and youth, and incorporating the use of a pop-up vehicle to provide services to underserved communities through non-traditional means.
- Supervises staff and coordinates workflow for effective and efficient delivery of adult and youth outreach, and Pop-up Library services throughout the County.
- Provides stellar customer services by assisting patrons of all ages using library resources and services, including computers, and other electronic resources.
- Coordinates a variety of programming and activities at outreach locations and special events and in conjunction with community partners.
- Develops and maintains communications and contacts with community partner organizations.
- Participates in strategic planning for outreach services, the Pop-up Library and the library system.
- Maintains a current knowledge of County and Library policies and procedures and other county units.
- Participates in department specific and system-wide committees as assigned.
- Maintains statistics, records, and vital information related to community demographics.
- Monitors Pop-up Library operations.
- Identifies and works to resolve issues related to vehicle maintenance and technology.
- Collects and analyzes statistics, including output and outcome measures, related to outreach services.
- Prepares and presents activity reports and technical information.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates special projects, services, and programs.
- Uses considerable independent judgement and problem-solving skills along with established policies and procedures to ensure a competent staff and consistent high-quality service to the public.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with community partners.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Promotes effective communication of information to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Interprets policies and procedures.
- Develops solutions to escalated customer service issues.
- Participates in staff development, coaching, and performance management.
- Ensures training and development of assigned staff and may approve personnel requests.
- Provides opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
Minimum Qualifications: A Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution.
Preferred Qualifications: 1-2 years of related outreach experience, including supervisory experience. Experience working in a public library preferred.
Job Competencies: Excellent written and verbal communication, knowledge of core library services and programs, and demonstrated skills in project management. Ability to develop and implement goals and objectives and evaluate work of self and others. Knowledge of facilitation tools and understanding of the dynamics of teams. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, officials, contractors, volunteers, community organizations and the general public. Public media interaction, presentation and negotiation skills. Advanced knowledge of computers, software and the evolving role of technology in library services. Commitment to adhere to County policies.
Work Hours: 40 hours a week. This position needs flexibility from 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Monday through Sunday. Your work location will change based on the needs within the library system.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.