Click Apply to attach your resume. If you do not have a resume to attach, you may download the Employee Career Application (complete and attach as resume).
About Our Job
This position entails duties covering the full scope of services to all library users within a specialized environment. Emphasis will be placed on library programing for all ages; technology instruction; and promotion of library services via partners and at off-site locations. In the team environment, employees will participate in setting unit goals, contribute to decision making, and evaluate progress.
- Promotes the understanding and use of the library and its resources.
- Offers outreach services in coordination with team members and Library system staff.
- Plans and directs library programming for adults, young adults, and children, in coordination with team members and Library system staff.
- Analyzes and identifies service population needs and develops plans to meet those needs.
- Networks with other agencies to provide and obtain materials and services.
- Represents the library and library interests within the community.
- Participates in presentation and development of technology training and information literacy programs for staff and patrons.
- Participates in ad-hoc/one-on-one training of customers in use of library technology.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of library technology and provides technology programming and instruction.
- Provides formal/informal instruction to individuals/groups on use of library resources, learning tools, etc.
- Initiates, designs, facilitates and evaluates education programs; collaborates on activities and programs related to pop-up library services and community goals.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with community partners, local non-profits, and other County departments.
- Recommends informational resources and materials for education and enrichment.
- Provides outreach services to the community.
- Presents individual and group training programs for public in the use of technology and equipment, and library resources.
- Keeps abreast of developments, new trends, and innovations in libraries.
- Represents Sarasota County to library users.
- Assists with collection development by recommending materials for mobile library services.
- Maintains awareness of literature related to current best practices and future trends.
- Integrates research and monitors patterns and trends into planning process.
- Assists, leads, develops, implements, and /or evaluates special projects, services and library programs.
- Collaborates with internal core services to manage operational issues, support community goals and form strategic partnerships.
- Assists with collecting statistics and outcome measures to evaluate goals for the unit.
- Participates in cross training in other sections and aids in cross training in their section.
- Attends agency, system-wide, local, regional, state, and national meetings and workshops to enhance professional skills.
- Participates in the development of goals, objectives, for Outreach Services Team.
Work Hours: 40 hours a week. This position needs flexibility from 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Monday through Sunday. Your work location will change based on the needs within the library system.
Minimum Qualifications: A Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS) from a college/university accredited by the American Library Association with experience in a public library including library supervisory experience preferred OR A Bachelor’s Degree and enrolled in an MLS/MLIS program with the ability to obtain an MLS/MLIS within six (6) months from date of hire.
Preferred Qualifications: One year of experience in a library environment preferred.
Job Competencies: Ability to communicate clearly and concisely. Knowledge of modern library principles with emphasis on services for a broad variety of constituents to include children, families, adults, and seniors. Knowledge of practices, theories, procedures, technology and public library operations. Knowledge of materials, reading tastes, and publishers. Knowledge of laws and regulations governing access to information in library. Ability to provide high level customer service. Ability to effectively collaborate/partner with internal and external organizations/services. Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment and handle a variety of customer services issues tactfully. Ability to work effectively in teams, and to train, develop and guide other team members. Ability to educate and instruct internal/external customers. Ability to prioritize, manage, organize, and present work/information effectively. Knowledge in team facilitation, conflict resolution, and team dynamics. Ability to plan and implement new systems and instruct others in their use. Knowledge of office equipment, computers and software.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.